Saturday, March 19, 2011

Page 06-02 Rudder Hinge Assembly

About two hours on the builder's Hobbs

Ok well since we had everything unpacked I had to dive in and get my hands a little dirty.  The toolbox is still not here so things aren't as organized as I would like.  I am also missing a scotchbrite wheel so I am filing pieces for now.  I did pick up a bench grinder today at Home Depot.  Now I need a bench to bolt it down to.  The table using the packaging from the empennage kit works fine for a table to build on but it isn't stable enough to bolt a vice and grinder onto I don't think.

So I jumped in and took the hack saw to separate the pieces of the hinge assembly.  It was easy and taking the file to the resultant pieces provided a nicely deburred and smooth surface.  I got to squeeze my first rivets too.  Pretty exciting and nerve racking as I didn't want to mess up.  I ordered the Main Squeeze from Cleveland tools.  It was very easy to squeeze those rivets with that tool.  I highly recommend it.

Here are some shots of my first squeezed rivets on this project.  These aren't actually the first ones I had ever done as my wife and I took the RV Builders class from EAA.  We didn't really squeeze too many there though as we used the rivet gun and bucking bar instead.


Oh and I didn't get to fly today.. winds gusting near to cross at 20-30+ kts made it undoable in a LSA.  Going to try to get in some softs and shorts tomorrow... Fingers crossed.

No comments:

Post a Comment