Friday, March 25, 2011

Page 06-04 Back from a Week of Travel

Three more hours on the builder's Hobbs.

Finished up the stab spar drilling out and adding the nutplates.  It would have been nice to have the nutplates labelled in some way, so you knew which one to use.  The second issue I had was correctly setting the depth of the rivet squeezer in order to properly set the flush rivets with the nutplates.  In end end I messed up the first couple and drilled them out.  That marks the first rivets I needed to drill out.  I have two more rivets that were better but I am still not 100% happy with.  I will likely drill out those two tomorrow.

I am at the point of radiusing the ribs and then fluting them.  I figured that was a good stopping point for tonight.  I am shooting to have the V-Stab completed this week before I head to Sun-N-Fun on Wed.  My wife gets home tomorrow from another trip to Florida so I should have another set of hands in the house to help with the building.  My son has been putting together the toolbox that arrived while I was gone.  We then need to move the compressor into the build space so that I can use the pneumatic riveter when it comes time for the skin.  I am not looking forward to trying that with a hand riveter.





Oh and I tried to fly today.  Was going to get in one of my last solo trips to the practice area to hopefully get my maneuvers polished up.  Unfortunately Colorado winds decided against it.  They were just crazy today.  I am going to maybe try again tomorrow and Sunday.  Just hoping we get some good weather for my checkride.  

No comments:

Post a Comment